Sunday, April 18, 2010

My breakfast today

I was thinking maybe it would be helpful to post ideas for yummy, simple gluten-free food. I'll start posting pictures at some point, I guess.

OK, so breakfast today was both yummy and easy. I chopped a sweet potato into about quarter inch pieces and sauteed it with some olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and a smidgen of cayenne pepper. Once the potatoes were soft, I moved them to the side of the pan and fried an egg over easy in the remainder of the spices and olive oil on the pan. When it was almost done I sliced a very thin slice of cheddar cheese on the potatoes to melt it. Put the egg on top, put it on a plate and then, because I am a glutton for punishment, I topped it with Sriracha hot sauce. Salsa would be just as good. Took me maybe 10 minutes in total.

Easy, peasey gluten-free breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Wowie, sounds extravagant but yummy! Although on a college student budget that sounds like an expensive breakfast. hehe. I am trying out desserts today and am very excited to post my results and comparisons! :) This blog was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, not expensive at all, my seesta! The spices can be expensive, but you use them for a long time and probably often: they're perfect Mexican food spices. The ingredients, prorated, are maybe $1.50.

    One of my favorite college meals was baked sweet potatoes with canned black beans and salsa. I typically add some spices and maybe some onions and garlic, but I think you'd be shocked by how inexpensive and delicious it can be.

    ReplyDelete