Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Chip Cookies

So, I decided that today I would pick out the dessert I will make for next weekend for my birthday. Today I made both chocolate chip cookies and chocolate cake.

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip cookies
These were very easy to make, combine the mix with butter, eggs, and gf vanilla. They cook for 8-10 minutes and are done. They came out delicious and tasting just like normal chocolate chip cookies. The only issue is that when they first come out they are very flakey and difficult to get off the pan in one piece, but after they cool they stick together much better and are scrumptious.

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Chocolate Chip cookies
These also had only a few of the normal ingredients, butter eggs etc. They came out more cakey than cookie like though. Also, you could tell that they were gluten free, meaning that they had a different taste than normal chocolate chip cookies. They were okay, but not high on my list of baked goods.

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake Mix
I haven't had a slice yet, but have been picking at the pieces and it seems to taste like normal cake. The cake did not really rise like most do, so it ended up being to fairly thin circles of cake, but once I put one on top of the other it will be more like a single layer cake. The recipe called for butter, eggs, and water which compared to the other chocolate cake I have had is a very easy recipe. The ultimate test will be to see what the boy thinks of it, the last chocolate cake I made tasted different, not good or bad, just different and he didn't really like it because of that. So I am hoping that this one will fair better because it is no fun eating your birthday cake alone. :)

Gluten Free Pantry Decadent Chocolate Cake
This was the cake made at the boy's house for Easter, the website doesn't give the same ingredients so I am not exactly sure, but I do know that it called for yogurt and some other weird stuff which was odd and ended up making the cake more expensive. It had a different taste to it like stated above, but it did rise unlike the betty crocker cake. I am not exactly sure which cake wins in this fight, but for me I would choose Betty Crocker for being inexpensive and it's good taste.

So in summary, Betty Crocker wins! :) For me at least, you may have to try these yourselves and make your own decisions though. But the good news that comes out of this is that you can have those delicious desserts that you are used to and get the taste to be pretty close to what you are craving!

No comments:

Post a Comment