Sunday, August 12, 2012

I'm Baaaack! (just Diane)

My little family has gone through many changes in the past couple of months. My husband and I have hit our 1 year wedding anniversary, I've gotten a new job in a new town, and we've bought our first home!

After a busy summer of traveling for family reunions and for work, and waiting for wood floors to be installed in 3/4 of our house, we still have all our stuff in boxes in the garage. Needless to say we aren't settled, and I don't see it happening soon since there's still a lot of painting and finishing to do. The wonderful thing is that we are comfortable with the bed being in the office and have set up a living room in the Den. Our house is too big for us now and we will take our time moving into it and not feel like we need to set up and decorate every room.

So in all the confusion in our lives in the past couple of months, our diet has gone out the window. We eat out more than we should which hurts our bank account and our health. I haven't had the time or the energy to cook when we do eat at home so all we eat is junk.

So now we're changing that. Together we can hold each other accountable and hopefully by recording some excellent recipes here, I can have that added accountability.

So the usual question, where does gluten free fit in? No Dr.s can tell me that I am gluten intolerant so I used that as a reason NOT to remain gluten free. Yet I know that I am not absorbing Iron or Vitamin D and my energy level is super low. When I eat gluten I have indigestion and gas, and it's even worse when I eat dairy.

Dusty and I LOOOOVE food. So we have these new rules that must be applied to anything we eat:
  • No gluten allowed
  • Must be loaded with protein
  • Must be loaded with vegetables and fruits
  • Must have limited dairy
  • Must be DELICIOUS 
So where to begin? Last night we grilled a Hormel marinated pork tenderloin. I cut up two farm fresh tomatoes, some watermelon and dusty grilled some fresh corn. It was delicious and refreshing to have so much food value in our meal. Tonight we'll probably have tacos with the leftover pork.

I am so excited about this change, and can't wait to fully utilize my new kitchen!!

Here is this week's inspiration recipe:
Carnitas, Houston Style

No comments:

Post a Comment