Monday, October 18, 2010

Mmmmm Mmmm Larabar

Ok, first off I need to start off by saying Larabars are AMAZING. The isn't news to most people. I know when I stayed at Carolyn's house a few years ago they had a big box of apple pie. YUM! Currently I am eating the Ginger Snap.

Today I was at my favorite grocery store which has recently expanded and  now has an ENTIRE ISLE of gluten free goodies. For the first time ever I found Larabars somewhere other than Whole Foods. I had no idea they were gluten free. Then something even better hit me (in my head.. not literally...)

I HAVE A RECIPE THAT IS SOOOO SIMILAR TO LARABAR!

Sugarplums (Chocolate Larabars)
½ cup slivered almonds
4 ounces dried figs
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons honey
Grated zest from 1 orange (1 tablespoon)
½ teaspoon almond extract
¾ cup granulated sugar

In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds to bring out their flavor. Remove from heat; cool. Combine the figs, cocoa, cinnamon, and almonds in a food processor, pulsing until peppercorn-size balls form. Add the honey, orange zest, and almond extract. Pulse 3 or 4 times more until well mixed. Spread the sugar in a shallow dish. Form the sugarplums into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.

Or Press into a pan and cut into bars!


Enjoy, I know I will!

2 comments:

  1. Is this more like a candy than it is a bar? Looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is more like a candy. I don't know if you remember but a few years ago I made them as a healthy alternative to cookies at Christmastime. If making into a bar I wouldn't roll it in sugar!

    ReplyDelete