Monday, November 15, 2010

Catch-Up: Buckeyes

I'm realizing that I haven't posted in a while and I have come up with a fun way to redeem myself!

The food network each year has done their 12 days of cookies. Which I look forward to each year. Ok wait that isn't true I definitely completely forget about it until I get the e-mail from them reminding me that it's almost time. What happens is that you get 12 recipes in your e-mail, spread out over time. I'm not sure what the frequency is but they're always very good.

We'll do a gluten-free 12 days of Christmas! This is a huge promise but I'll try to convert each recipe to a gluten-free recipe and hopefully we'll get a few recipes that are amazing! (I'm hoping for a little assistance from the rest of the Lunmans since I'm sure others will want to try some recipes too!)

Let's start with a family favorite to tide us all over until then. I don't even need to experiment with this one!

BUCKEYES (Grandma Teed's Recipe!)


1 lb powdered sugar
3 cups GF rice crispies
2 cups peanut butter
⅓ pound butter
12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips (Nestle Tollhouse is safe)
⅓ bar paraffin wax


Mix together first four ingredients until evenly combined.

Roll into small bite-sized balls.

In a double boiler melt chocolate and wax until smooth. The wax is to make the balls shiny and finished looking. You could skip this and they are just as delicious. You might instead want to get a special dipping chocolate which will also dry shiny but I can't promise they would be gluten free.

Use toothpicks or slotted spoon to dip balls in the melted chocolate, completely coat. Set chocolate on wax paper to cool.

Enjoy! You'll want to freeze or refrigerate these otherwise the Crispies will get soggy because the peanut butter will soften. They do freeze wonderfully and the freezer is also a perfect hiding place.

1 comment:

  1. When Mom and I made them this year we used puffed rice instead of rice crispies. The only problem with them was that the rice absorbed moisture and became slightly stale/less crunchy. But they became perfectly fine after putting them back into the fridge. So that was a good way to do it as long as you can keep them in the fridge for the most part. The good thing was they still tasted great when slightly stale because, well, they do also contain peanut butter and chocolate in which you can never go wrong!

    ReplyDelete